Thursday, May 5, 2011

Down Memory Lane

As I reflect on these past few months, I find that I am incredibly blessed. Not only am I doing so well in school, but I am traveling in an amazing country, and will soon come home to my awaiting family and the arms of my wonderfully sweet boyfriend (Hello Ted, honey!).

This evening, as I enjoyed the gentle sounds of The Four Sisters' "Shima Musume", I decided to revisit the photographs I took from this past summer 2010. I was feeling nostalgic, as my anniversary with Ted is coming up in the next few weeks--and being in Viet Nam--was just a bit homesick, longing for my familiar comforts.

Perhaps one of my favorite memories I came across this evening was of the crocheted amigurumi I had made for Ted's birthday in July. Being a huge fan of the Mother/Earthbound games, Ted expressed to me his interest in a Mr. Saturn plush toy. Given my skills in crocheting, I thought, "Well... That shouldn't be too hard! And if I mess up, well... I'm sure cookies will make a fine substitute." I found a pattern online and within two days of dutiful crafting, I had created a Mr. Saturn plushie! But for Ted's birthday, I felt I should make more--I couldn't just give him that. So I decided to crochet a little cat, a cuppy cake, a bowl of sushi and rice, a Totoro (My Neighbor!), and Link from the Legend of Zelda. I was so happy and proud of my work that I almost didn't want to give the plushies to him! But come the weekend I went to visit and celebrate his birthday--his reaction had made it all worth it. He absolutely loved them! And I was so glad that they would have a nice and safe home on top of his bedroom bookshelf.

I have more ideas for stuffed crocheted toys--and this summer will be the perfect opportunity to sit down with some yarn and craft up some cute things. Ted's collection is sure to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment