Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer Project Two: Glass Bottles -- Recyclin' Fever

My friend Mark reignited my passion for making cute shit. I had been on a bit of a hiatus after coming to Vietnam, and though I tried to pick up knitting again a few weeks ago, I got distracted and would take naps instead. However, whilst perusing Go-Go Godzilla! (thanks Mark) I was reminded of a little hobby I used to have freshman year at Swat.

It all started in Japanese class when I started drawing little cartoons of Godzilla and trying to make all my essay and speech assignments about her. My final project was a crudely animated (read: photos of my drawings edited together and not really animated) but was a huge hit with my class and professors. I will look for it on my old computer -- but after the fry-scapade last year, methinks I may have lost it -- but no matter, that is not the point... I took the Godzilla cartoon I made and taped it onto a glass bottle of tea I had recycled. When the bottle would get grotty, I just use another bottle, peeled off the label and stuck my infinitely better more cute more fabulous one onto it. And they'd last a while--you know, if I didn't get water or juice or tea dripping down the side, or if I was actually paying attention to the water jugs in the library and not leaking a mess on the carpet, well... They'd last for about 3 weeks.

I had even made a bottle with a cartoon of myself.

And just a little while ago I got to thinking: Why don't I make those little cartoon bottles again? And I have plenty of doodles to spare, and there's lots of glass for recycling. And you'd totes-mc-goats be the koolest kid on the block if you had one of my bottles...




And so commences the crafting :D ...just as soon as I get back to the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment